Music on Main is thrilled to announce the inaugural Emerge on Main artist.
Pianist Chris Morano was selected by a jury of internationally recognized musicians to bethe first musician to participate in Emerge on Main, a brand new programme that helps launch the careers of emerging musicians.
Emerge on Main is a unique programme that provides new performance and mentorship opportunities for emerging classical, new music and genre-bending musicians from across British Columbia. Starting in 2012, every second year of Emerge on Main will be open to international artists.
Chris Morano made his Music on Main debut on Saturday, October 2, 2010 at 8:00 PM at Heritage Hall as part of the new Modulus Festival.
The 2010 jury included:
- Parmela Atarriwalla - violinist, ethnomusicologist, improvisor and pedagogue
- Lisa Bielawa - composer-vocalist
- Clemens Merkel - violinist
Below is some information about the Emerge on Main application process and the programme:
The “Emerge on Main” artist will have completed his/her basic professional studies and will have yet to establish a significant professional career.
The successful “Emerge on Main” artists will receive:
- four performance opportunities - three community concerts and a Main Stage debut at Heritage Hall in Vancouver;
- a $1,000 artist fee;
- career development coaching with Music on Main's Artistic Director David Pay with a follow-up session six months after completion of the programme;
- constructive feedback on performance style from industry leaders;
- a professional archival recording of the Main Stage performance;
- a professional photo session with photographer Chris Mason Stearns resulting in three high res digital images for publicity use;
- accommodation and travel expenses if the successful artist does not reside in the Vancouver area
2012 Deadline | Please check back in February 2012.
See the FAQs for more information.